Physicians go through extensive training before they can actually treat patients. Despite all of their training, mistakes can happen. Most mistakes, however, are not negligent acts. But, there are some that are so disturbing and devastating, they make their way into history.
If you have been injured because of a physician’s negligence, it is important that you contact a malpractice attorney right away. An attorney can evaluate your case and help determine if you qualify for compensation – and protect your rights.
While you are waiting for your consultation, you can familiarize yourself with some of the biggest (and most dramatic) medical malpractice cases in the country’s history. These cases have curbed how courts handle malpractice lawsuits, and have also helped to create guidelines for hospitals to prevent these same errors in the future.
Five Famous Medical Malpractice Cases
- Rhode Island – Three cases in one year occurred at the Rhode Island Hospital. These all involved brain surgery patients. In one case, a third-year resident forgot to mark which side of the brain to operate on – so the doctor operated on the wrong side and it resulted in the death of the patient. This led to a neurosurgery checklist to prevent mistakes from happening again.
- Jessica Santillan – This 17-year old girl needed a heart and lung transplant. After the surgery, she had severe brain damage and it was realized that the donor didn’t have the same blood type as the girl. After that surgery, the hospital developed a checklist for transplants to ensure donor matches.
- Carol Weiher – This woman suffered from chronic pain in her eye. Eventually, she had surgery to remove the eye. Halfway through the surgery she awoke, without pain, and suffered from PTSD from the incident.
- Kim Tutt – Kim was told she had cancer of the jaw and less than a year to live. She had her left side of the jaw removed to help lengthen her life. Afterwards, it was discovered that she never had cancer.
- Alexander Baez – This American bodybuilder’s malpractice case made headlines in the early 2000s. He was known as Mr. Mexico and underwent pec implant surgery. When he woke, it was discovered that surgeons accidentally implanted C-cup breasts rather than pec implants. It was later discovered that the physician doing the procedure did not have a license or credentials to operate, and he had operated on dozens of other patients before it was discovered.
Medical Malpractice Errors Are Real
Unfortunately, medical malpractice errors occur constantly in hospitals and doctors’ offices around the country. These errors range from minor issues that are quickly corrected to errors that have devastating long-term or deadly results. If you have been injured because of a medical professional’s oversight or negligence, you may qualify for compensation under malpractice law. Contact Berkowitz and Hanna LLC today to schedule a no-obligation case evaluation. Call 866-479-7909 or contact us online to get started.