The lawyers at Berkowitz and Hanna LLC represent individuals and families in hospital malpractice claims involving hospitals throughout the state of Connecticut including Yale-New Haven Hospital. If you believe you or someone you love has been harmed by hospital malpractice, contact our firm today.
Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH) is the primary teaching hospital for Yale School of Medicine. The 1,008-bed tertiary care medical center has on its staff more than 3,600 university, community and resident physicians. With over 7,000 employees, YNHH is the second largest employer in the New Haven area. The non-profit institution, according US News Best Hospitals 2013, ranks 10 in adult and seven in pediatric specialties in the country.
In addition to Yale-New Haven Hospital, the hospital complex includes Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital, Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale-New Haven, and Yale-New Haven Psychiatric Hospital. Its cancer center is among the National Cancer Institute’s 40 comprehensive cancer centers in the U.S. It is the only such comprehensive center in southern New England.
Among its highest Best Hospital rankings in the U.S. by specialty are:
- Number 5 in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Number 11 in Psychiatry
- Number 13 in Gynecology
- Number 20 in Geriatrics
Among the nation’s highest rankings in pediatric specialties, Yale-New Haven Hospital ranks third in pediatric diabetes and endocrinology.
Other YNHH statistics include:
- 52,302 admissions for the most recent year reported
- 14,136 annual inpatient surgeries
- 21,880 outpatient surgeries
- 137,627 emergency room visits
Malpractice Lawsuits Against Yale-New Haven Hospital
Malpractice lawsuits have been brought against the hospital over the years for mistakes made by various doctors and staff.
For example, one if the most recent lawsuits against the hospital is a $2 million federal malpractice lawsuit filed by a bus driver for priapism. The disorder is the persistence of a painful erection without stimulation for more than four hours. According to an article published by ABC News, the driver complained that:
- After going to the emergency room he had to wait in pain for hours before being seen
- He was allegedly ignored by the staff, which he claimed were watching a TV sporting event instead of helping him or other patients
- Once he was treated, he claimed the doctor did not properly administer the medication
- No urologist or other expert examined him
- The surgery eventually performed did not alleviate his pain
In another malpractice lawsuit, an 81-year-old woman sued Yale-New Haven Hospital May 31, 2012 for being severely injured when she fell off the operating table after surgery. The Associated Press reports that among her injuries were fractures of her hip and collarbone and a traumatic head injury that caused bleeding under her skull. The lawsuit alleged:
- The hospital did not institute policies and procedures to prevent her falling
- Failed to recognize she had not recovered completely from medications given during surgery
- Employees failed to put the operating table at its lowest position before allowing the woman to reposition herself
- The hospital left her improperly unattended
Contact a Hospital Malpractice Lawyer Today
Thousands of patients are treated at Yale-New Haven Hospital each year. Mistakes are bound to happen, but they are never excusable. We entrust health care providers, including doctors, nurses, specialists and surgeons with our lives and when something goes wrong, they should be held accountable.
If you believe you have reason to file a lawsuit against Yale-New Haven Hospital, you should contact an experienced hospital malpractice attorney for help. To schedule a free consultation with an attorney contact Berkowitz and Hanna LLC today.
- Bridgeport Hospital Malpractice
- Danbury Hospital Malpractice
- Greenwich Hospital Association Malpractice
- Griffin Hospital Malpractice
- John Dempsey Hospital Malpractice
- Milford Hospital, Inc. Malpractice
- New Milford Hospital Malpractice
- Norwalk Hospital Malpractice
- St. Francis Hospital And Medical Center Malpractice
- St. Mary’s Hospital Malpractice
- Hospital Of St. Raphael Malpractice
- St. Vincent’s Medical Center Malpractice
- Stamford Hospital Malpractice
- Waterbury Hospital Malpractice
- Yale New Haven Hospital