Serving Stamford, Shelton, Danbury, Bridgeport, New Haven and all of Connecticut
Russ Berkowitz is the firm’s founding partner and is widely known as one of the leading medical malpractice and personal injury attorneys in Connecticut, obtaining over $350 million in medical malpractice and personal injury damage awards on behalf of his clients over the course of his career. Russ has represented adults and children who have sustained catastrophic birth injuries, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, surgical injuries, anesthesia injuries, hospital injuries, amputation injuries, drug overdose injuries, wrongful death, and other life-altering medical malpractice and personal injuries. His representation has helped effectuate changes to the policies and procedures of various medical departments at healthcare institutions and medical groups throughout Connecticut.
Over the last seven years alone, Russ has obtained over 65 medical malpractice and personal injury awards of $1,000,000.00 or more for clients. Some of Russ’ awards include:
- A $9 million total medical malpractice recovery on behalf of a baby who suffered severe brain damage during delivery.
- A $8 million total medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a child who sustained an anoxic airway injury at a hospital.
- A $7 million total medical malpractice award on behalf of a client who sustained a stroke following the delivery of her baby, causing her to sustain permanent paralysis.
- A $7 million total medical malpractice recovery on behalf of a client who was forced to undergo amputations of all four limbs following the misdiagnosis of a bacterial infection.
- A $6.8 million total medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a baby who sustained a severe brain injury during delivery.
- A $6.1 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a client who sustained a spinal cord injury during neck surgery.
- A $5 million total medical malpractice award on behalf of a baby who sustained a stroke during delivery.
- A $4.85 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of an infant who sustained a hypoxic brain injury as a result of a hospital neonatal intensive care unit’s negligent airway management.
- A $4 million medical malpractice verdict against a gynecologist whose negligence during surgery destroyed the plaintiff’s ability to bear children.
- A $4 million medical malpractice recovery on behalf of the estate of a client who died as a result of an untreated infected obstructed kidney stone.
- A $3.7 million medical malpractice payout on behalf of a client who died following surgical complications.
- A $3 million medical malpractice recovery on behalf of a child who sustained brain damage following the negligent administration of anesthesia during surgery.
- A $3 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a newborn who sustained brain damage during delivery.
- A $2.9 million automobile accident recovery on behalf of a baby who sustained a brain injury in an automobile accident.
- A $2.6 million medical malpractice verdict on behalf of the estate of a client who died as a result of a prostate cancer misdiagnosis.1
In addition, Russ and Kelly Ferraro currently represent close to 200 retired NFL players from all over the country in the highly publicized NFL Brain Concussion Lawsuit. This suit was brought by former NFL players against the NFL in Federal Court in Philadelphia stemming from severe brain injuries they sustained while playing in the NFL. Russ and Kelly have already recovered close to $20 million in monetary awards on behalf of their retired NFL clients. Russ also represents clients from all over the country who have sustained catastrophic injuries stemming from vaccination allergic reactions.
Russ is Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and was voted as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the field of Medical Malpractice by US News and World Reports. He is also a Fellow in the Connecticut Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, a Fellow in the American Academy of Medical Malpractice Lawyers, and a member of the National Trial Lawyers Top 25 in the field of Medical Malpractice. In addition, Russ has been voted as a Super Lawyer by Connecticut Magazine and New England Super Lawyers Magazine in the field of medical malpractice every year since each list has been published.2
Russ is also a member of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, where he serves on its Board of Governors and Medical Malpractice Committee. Over the years, he has lectured at numerous seminars on a wide range of medical malpractice topics and mediation/arbitration in medical malpractice cases to members of the CTLA. He is a member of the American Bar Association, Connecticut Bar Association, Fairfield County Regional Bar Association, Roscoe Pound Foundation, American Trial Counsel, and Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He is the founder and Trustee of Berkowitz and Hanna Charitable Fund, which partners with many non-profit organizations that support adults and children with physical and mental disabilities and women and children at risk. Russ is also the founder of Across the Globe Children’s Foundation, which partners with organizations that provide support to underprivileged children in Connecticut and builds homes, schools, libraries, and clean water and sanitation systems in impoverished villages throughout Honduras, Guatemala, Haiti, El Salvador, Mexico, Bolivia, Ghana, and Laos.