If You Have Been Seriously Injured in a Car Accident in Waterbury, It Is Important That You Discuss Your Case with an Attorney As Soon As Possible
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be stressful, to say the very least. If you were seriously injured in the crash, the steps you take after your accident could truly impact the rest of your life. As a result, it is important that you seek help, and we encourage you to speak with one of our Waterbury car accident lawyers, right away.
When Can You Seek Financial Compensation After a Car Accident?
In many cases, car accident victims will be entitled to significant financial compensation. If your injuries prevent you from working or spending meaningful time with friends and family, your losses could be substantial. One of the first steps toward recovering your losses will be to determine who (or what company) is liable; and, for this, you will need to engage an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
Some of the most common examples of circumstances in which car accident victims can recover financial compensation in Connecticut include:
- The Other Driver Was Being Negligent – Driver negligence is the most common cause of car accidents. Speeding, running red lights and stop signs, merging without looking, driving while distracted, and driving under the influence are just a handful of numerous dangerous forms of driver negligence.
- The Other Driver Was Intentionally Being Reckless or Aggressive – Tailgating, street racing, driving well in excess of the speed limit, and acting aggressively toward other drivers are all common causes of car accidents as well. There is no excuse for these types of behaviors, and reckless and aggressive drivers deserve to be held accountable.
- Your (or the Other Driver’s) Car Malfunctioned – Car malfunctions can result from defects (issues that existed when a car left the factory) and from negligent maintenance or repairs. If your accident was the result of a vehicle defect or negligent maintenance or repair work, the manufacturer, dealership, or shop may be liable for your losses.
- There Was an Issue with the Road – Various issues with the road can cause and contribute to car accidents in Waterbury. From low shoulders and potholes to sharp curves and visual obstructions, there are numerous potential factors that our attorneys will assess in order to identify all available sources of financial compensation.
- The Other Driver Should Not Have Been on the Road – If the other driver should not have been on the road because he or she was unlicensed, inexperienced, or inebriated, then the driver’s employer or the establishment that overserved the driver could be liable. Employers can be held liable when their employees cause accidents within the scope of their employment, and Connecticut’s dram shop law establishes liability for bars, restaurants, and other venues in appropriate circumstances.
How Much Financial Compensation Can You Recover?
Our attorneys will need to meet with you in order to determine how much financial compensation you may be able to recover. Factors ranging from the extent of your injuries to what you do (or did) for work will all be relevant to determining the value of your claim. However, in general terms, the types of compensation our attorneys will likely seek to recover on your behalf include:
- All past and future medical expenses incurred as a result of your accident-related injuries
- Prescription and medical supply costs
- Loss of income and benefits due to pain, disability, attending doctors’ appointments, and other injury-related factors
- Loss of future earning capacity due to chronic pain or long-term (or permanent) disability
- The cost to hire landscapers, babysitters, and other service providers
- Physical pain and suffering
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional trauma and post-traumatic stress
- Loss of companionship, consortium, services, and society
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Should You Hire a Car Accident Lawyer to Represent You?
From accurately calculating your losses to dealing with the insurance companies, there are numerous aspects of seeking financial compensation after a car accident that requires experienced legal representation. As a result, while you are not required to have legal representation, we strongly recommend that you discuss your case with an attorney. At Berkowitz Hanna, we provide free initial consultations to car accident victims in Connecticut, and one of our Waterbury car accident attorneys will be happy to walk you through everything you need to know.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Waterbury Car Accident Lawyer Today
Were you seriously injured in a car accident in Waterbury? To discuss your case with an experienced personal injury lawyer for free, call 203-447-0000 or contact us online now.