Trusted Stamford Personal Injury Attorneys Ready To Assist You
When you get hurt in an accident, picking up the pieces can seem nearly impossible. From dealing with the insurance companies to keeping up with your medical bills, it can all be too much to bear. But protecting your legal rights is important, and your current medical bills could pale in comparison to the financial and non-financial costs you could face down the line. In order to avoid suffering the consequences of someone else’s mistake for years to visit a Stamford personal injury law firm to help you.
At Berkowitz Hanna, we are committed to fighting for the rights of accident victims and their families. Our Stamford personal injury lawyers understand what you are going through, and we also know what recovering just compensation will mean for you and your family. We want to make sure you have every possible opportunity to restore your normal life. When you choose our firm to represent you, our lawyers will handle your case with commitment and compassion, and we will do everything in our power to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.
What Can You Expect When You Contact Us?
We understand that, for many people, talking to a personal injury attorney can seem just as overwhelming as dealing with the insurance companies. What if you don’t have a case? How can you be sure that you are choosing a Stamford personal injury attorney you can trust?
In order to alleviate these concerns as much as possible, we take the same open, honest, and straightforward approach to assisting every potential client who comes through our doors. When you contact us for a free initial consultation, we will:
- Conduct a thorough evaluation of your claim. Our Stamford personal injury attorneys will sit down with you to discuss the facts of your case and determine whether an investigation is necessary to gather any additional information. We will consult with our trusted experts and specialists on an as-needed basis, and then we will assess the viability of pursuing a successful claim under Connecticut law.
- Discuss our assessment with you. Once we have an understanding of your claim, we will provide you with our honest assessment of whether it makes sense to move forward. We will discuss your likelihood of success, your potential financial recovery, and our thoughts on the viability of filing a lawsuit.
- Establish realistic expectations. As our client, we want you to consistently be making informed decisions. To this end, we will establish realistic expectations regarding the effort, timing, and possible outcomes of your case.
- Go over next steps. If, once provided with this information, you decide to move forward, then we will go over the next steps. While our lawyers and staff will handle the bulk of the work, you will need to remain actively involved and we will be keeping you updated and informed every step of the way.
We handle all personal injury cases in Stamford on a contingency-fee-basis. As a result, your initial consultation and our preliminary case assessment are completely free. And if you choose to hire us, you will not pay any fees or costs unless we help you win just compensation.
We Handle All Personal Injury Claims in Stamford, CT
Our personal injury practice consists of representing individuals and families who have been injured and lost loved ones in all types of accidents in Stamford, CT. This includes fighting for just compensation in cases involving:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents
- Swimming and Boating Accidents
- Transit System Accidents
- Negligent Security
- Premises Liability (including Slip and Fall Accidents)
- Products Liability
- Medical Mistakes
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Fires and Explosions
- Machinery Malfunctions
With decades of experience, our law firm has helped accident victims recover millions of dollars in compensation. If you have been seriously injured, we may be able to help you recover compensation for:
- Current Medical Bills
- Future Medical Expenses
- Other Current and Future Out-of-Pocket Costs
- Loss of Income
- Loss of Future Earning Capacity
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Companionship
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Property Damage
- Other Financial and Non-Financial Losses
Proving Negligence in Vehicle Collisions, Falls, Misdiagnoses and Other Accidents
With the exception of product defect claims (which are governed by the law of “strict liability”), recovering financial compensation after an accident requires proof of negligence. Negligence can take many different forms, and negligence-based claims can arise under a broad range of scenarios.
What does it take for a person to be deemed legally “negligent”? While proving negligence in any particular case requires a thorough investigation of the specific facts involved, common examples of negligence include:
- Driving while distracted by sending text messages or scrolling social media
- Driving or boating under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, prescription sleep medications, or other drugs
- Driving or performing medical procedures while sleep deprived
- Failing to fix known issues on business or residential property (e.g., failing to repair a loose handrail)
- Failing to adequately staff a nursing home or hospital with experienced caregivers who have all been properly screened
- Failing to conduct a thorough physical examination or order appropriate blood tests or scans
- Misreading medical test results, misdiagnosing patients’ medical conditions, and sending sick patients home without a diagnosis
Of course, this list is nowhere near exhaustive. Regardless of what happened, if you or a loved one has been harmed under circumstances in which someone else may have been to blame, we encourage you to contact us promptly for a free initial consultation.
Stamford, CT Personal Injury Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Does conduct have to be illegal in order to be considered negligent?
No. There are many forms of negligence that are not illegal. For example, while Connecticut law prohibits handheld cell phone use behind the wheel, it is still entirely possible to be distracted by hands-free texting or a hands-free call. Likewise, although clearly dangerous, making a medical mistake is not a crime (except in the most egregious of circumstances), nor is failing to keep premises in a reasonably safe condition.
That said, if the person who injured you violated the law, this can be relevant to your claim. This is due to the law of negligence per se. Under the law of negligence per se, a violation of the law is, itself, evidence of negligence, and additional proof is not required.
Q: Should I go back and take photos at the scene of the accident?
Photographs can be key evidence in personal injury claims. And if you have photos on your phone, you should absolutely give copies to your attorney. But, if you don’t have photos, it is generally best not to go back and take photos on your own. Once you have left the accident scene, it is a far better option to engage a law firm that can hire a professional investigator. This investigator will be able to take the specific photos your attorneys need to prove your claim, and he or she will be able to collect any other evidence that is available as well.
Q: What should I do if I don’t trust my doctor’s advice?
If you have been severely injured in an accident, you need to get better; in order to do so, you need to be able to rely on your doctor’s advice. Unfortunately, in many cases, this is easier said than done. If you are concerned that your diagnosis may be inaccurate or incomplete, if you believe your doctor made a treatment error, or if you have any other concerns about the quality of your care, you should seek a second opinion, and we will be happy to provide you with a referral in the Stamford area.
Q: If I hire a trusted a Stamford personal injury lawyer, what is the likelihood that my personal injury case will settle?
In personal injury cases, the likelihood of receiving a fair settlement depends on far too many factors to provide a generalized answer. Many lawyers will tell you that they settle the vast majority of their claims. And while this is nice to know, it does not have any bearing on the potential outcomes of your particular case. However, what we can tell you is that hiring a lawyer will give you a far better chance of recovering the full compensation you are owed. Once our lawyers learn the details of your case, then we can provide an assessment of how likely we think you are to receive just compensation without going to court.
Speak with a Stamford Personal Injury Lawyer for Free
If you are ready to stand up for legal rights, the first step is to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. To speak with one of our Stamford personal injury attorney in confidence, call us or request an appointment online today.