Malpractice Lawyers Serving Stamford, Danbury, Bridgeport, Shelton and all of Conneticut
The Connecticut medical malpractice lawyers at Berkowitz and Hanna LLC are available to represent individuals and families who are affected by hospital malpractice at facilities throughout the state including Stamford Hospital. To discuss a possible case of malpractice with an experienced attorney from our firm, contact us today.
Stamford Hospital in Stamford is a nonprofit 305-bed teaching hospital serving Fairfield and Westchester counties in southwestern Connecticut. The hospital is affiliated with the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System and a major teaching affiliate of the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Stamford is a member of the Planetree Alliance, a group of hospitals in the country focused on achieving excellence in patient-centered care.
Stamford Hospital’s areas of expertise include:
- Cancer care
- Heart services
- Women’s health
The hospital lists its specialty services as:
- Bennett Cancer Center
- Center for Robotic Surgery
- Center for Surgical Weight Loss
- CyberKnife® Center
- Endoscopy Center
- Women’s Breast Center
- Center for Integrative Medicine & Wellness
- Center for Sleep Medicine
- Children’s Specialty Center
- Diabetes & Endocrine Center
- Stroke Center
- Wound Care Center
In addition to Stamford Hospital’s main campus, which is in Stamford, other hospital programs are:
- Wilton Surgery Center in Wilton
- Tully Health Center in Stamford
- Darien Imaging Center in Darien
- Special services at 1351 Washington Blvd. in Stamford
- Jeanne S. Rich Professional Office Building in Stamford
- Darien Medical Center in Darien
- Seven Blood Draw Stations in the region
The hospital is in the process of building an expanded emergency department. The new department will have separate areas for cardiac care, trauma treatment, behavioral health, pediatric care and a driveway and entrance for ambulances.
Stamford Hospital Malpractice
Hospital malpractice occurs when a healthcare provider such as a doctor, nurse, surgeon or specialist makes a mistake that harms a patient. The hospital itself can be found negligent if it fails to provides its staff with adequate training, is understaffed, or fails to maintain a safe environment for its patients.
Hospital malpractice can occur in a variety of ways, including failing to treat an emergency situation in a timely manner, failing to provide adequate treatment, or misdiagnosing a critical injury or illness.
An example of a recent medical malpractice claim against Stamford Hospital involves a Norwalk couple who sued Stamford Hospital and a physician for their baby’s severe injuries after a cesarean section. According to NBC Connecticut, the couple won a $58 million award, the largest medical malpractice judgment ever received in the state of Connecticut.
The jury made its decision in May. According to the lawsuit, the baby, now an 8-year-old boy, was brain damaged during delivery. He has cerebral palsy and is unable to sit up, stand, walk, speak, or feed himself. The child also has seizures.
According to NBC Connecticut, the couple sued Dr. Richard Viscarello of Maternal-Fetal Care and Stamford Hospital, claiming the doctor delayed performing the C-section, and that the delay and other actions caused the cerebral palsy. The couple said Viscarello did not properly care for the baby before he was born and failed to be assisted by the necessary experts when the baby was delivered, including a certified anesthesiologist or an expert in inserting an endotracheal tube.
The lawsuit also claimed that the doctor and his staff failed to determine the baby’s position in the mother before being delivered. In addition, the couple said they were not warned about the risks, complications and hazards of the delivery.
Contact Berkowitz and Hanna LLC
If you think you may have a claim against Stamford Hospital, you can seek legal advice from the experienced attorneys of Berkowitz and Hanna LLC. We handle cases of hospital malpractice, car accidents, weight loss surgery malpractice or any other personal injury cases across the state. To learn more, schedule a consultation today.
- Bridgeport Hospital Malpractice
- Danbury Hospital Malpractice
- Greenwich Hospital Association Malpractice
- Griffin Hospital Malpractice
- John Dempsey Hospital Malpractice
- Milford Hospital, Inc. Malpractice
- New Milford Hospital Malpractice
- Norwalk Hospital Malpractice
- St. Francis Hospital And Medical Center Malpractice
- St. Mary’s Hospital Malpractice
- Hospital Of St. Raphael Malpractice
- St. Vincent’s Medical Center Malpractice
- Stamford Hospital Malpractice
- Waterbury Hospital Malpractice
- Yale New Haven Hospital