An explosion in a two-story farmhouse in New Milford, Connecticut, killed one person and critically injured two others on Sept. 12, according to an article published by NBC News.

Killed was Anthony Fratino, 47, a friend who had come to the house to help fix a propane leak in a water heater. The injured were John Wilkinson, 46, the owner of the home, and his nine-year-old son Nicholas. Wilkinson and his son were immediately taken to Danbury Hospital in Danbury, Connecticut, with severe lacerations and burns.

Police said Nicholas would be taken to a Boston hospital. His father was receiving care at the burn unit of Bridgeport Hospital in Bridgeport, Connecticut, according to the article.

Wilkinson’s wife, Alice, and two children went to a neighbor’s house just before the explosion. Wilkinson told his wife to leave the house when he smelled propane.

The house was completely destroyed, with only the chimney left standing. Rubble was strewn over the ground where the house had been.

“It’s just an incredible site. There’s nothing left of the house,” New Milford Police Department spokesperson Lt. Lawrence Ash, told The New-Times in Danbury. “I’ve never seen anything like this,” he said.

After searching the rubble for any more victims of the explosion, police and fire crews found no other persons.

Some people living in New Milford said they heard the blast from far away. A neighbor living near the destroyed farm house said the explosion shook her entire house. “I had no idea what that was,” Patricia Bailey told NBCConnecticut.com.

“I thought a plane or car ran into our house,” Eric Bailey, a nearby resident, told The News-Times. “The entire house just — BOOM, shook.”

Authorities say that if you smell a gas leak, you should leave the scene right away and call the first department or propane gas service personnel.

Source: NBC News

To speak with a Connecticut injury lawyer, contact Berkowitz and Hanna LLC today.