Request Free Consultation: 866-479-7909 | Habla Español?

Connecticut Hospital Sees Spike in CO Poisonings

Hartford Hospital has seen a large spike in carbon monoxide (CO) poisonings since the Autumn Nor’easter. According to an article published by WTNH News 8, the Connecticut Poison Control Center reported 52 calls about CO poisoning on Monday alone.

According to the article, the staff at the Wound and Hyperbaric Medicine Center at Hartford Hospital has had its hands full with CO poisoning cases. Dr. Kelly Johnson-Arbor, the director of the unit, said people are at risk of CO poisoning when they use generators during storms.

Generators should be used outdoors at least 10 to 15 feet from the house, Dr. Johnson-Arbor said. When people use them indoors, they put themselves at risk of CO poisoning.

Symptoms of CO poisoning resemble the flu and can include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, confusion, shortness of breath, hallucinations and fainting. When symptoms are severe, patients will most likely be treated in a hyperbaric chamber where they breath oxygen under pressure for 2 hours.

If you experience these symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.

If you’ve suffered CO poisoning and you feel you didn’t receive adequate safety instructions on how to safely use a generator, contact Berkowitz and Hanna LLC for more information.