Police and the National Guard were protecting homes from possible looters in the Cosey Beach area of East New Haven, NBC Connecticut reported Wednesday, Oct. 31. The Cosey Beach neighborhood was one of the regions hit the hardest in the state.
This year things are much calmer than they were last year with when Tropical Storm Irene struck in August 2011.
“Compared to last year, they’ve done a phenomenal job,” Linda Gagnon, a neighborhood landlord, told NBC Connecticut. “It’s well organized and I feel very confident that my house and my tenants will be OK tonight,” she said Tuesday.
Only one case of looting has been reported with the new Tropical Storm Sandy. Cosey Beach Mayor Joseph Maturo called for a curfew in zones that have been evacuated. All residents within two blocks of the shore were told to leave.
The case was very different in 2011 when Tropical Storm Irene hit. Numerous houses were destroyed and thieves looted six condemned houses, taking copper wire.
This year’s storm struck down two homes and four more are beyond repair, officials reported. A number of others were harmed by gusts of wind and powerful storm surges.
In a phone interview Tuesday afternoon, the mayor said, “very few people have stayed in their homes.”
Wind gusts topped 75 miles per hour in Connecticut, and in New Haven, one of the hardest hit areas, flood waters were over 9 feet.
Gov. Daniel Malloy signed four executive orders meant to help people deal with the storm. Three of the executive orders allowed taxpayers to extend deadlines. The fourth executive order allowed people from out-of-state workers to help respond to the power outages across Connecticut.
As of 9:01 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31, the highest wind gusts in the state had reached 85 mph at Madison, Conn. and the top storm surge in the state was about nine feet above normal in New Haven, Conn.
A shelter has been opened at East Haven High School on Wheelbarrow Lane.