Our Shelton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Have the Experience You Need to Recover
Let us help you prove your legal rights after a Motorcycle Accident in Shelton, CT.
If you ride a motorcycle, you are probably familiar with the saying, “There are two types of motorcycle riders: those who have been involved in an accident, and those who will be involved in an accident.” While this is not entirely accurate, motorcycle accidents are fairly common, and numerous riders in Shelton and throughout Connecticut go down while riding each year.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Shelton, what are your legal rights? Are you entitled to financial compensation; and, if so, how much are you entitled to recover? What can you do if the insurance companies blame you for your own injuries? Here’s what you need to know:
What Are Your Legal Rights after a Motorcycle Accident in Shelton, CT?
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Shelton, you have the same rights as anyone else who has been injured in an accident on Connecticut’s roads. These rights include:
- The right to obtain professional medical treatment from a provider of your choosing;
- The right to use your health insurance to cover your medical expenses;
- The right to have your health insurance company reimbursed if someone else was at fault in the accident;
- The right to receive “just compensation” for all of your other accident-related losses – this includes losses that are both financial (e.g., loss of income) and non-financial (e.g., pain and suffering) in nature;
- The right to conduct a comprehensive investigation in order to determine who (or what company) was at fault in your accident;
- The right to be treated fairly and with respect by the insurance companies; and,
- The right to take your motorcycle accident claim to court if the insurance companies refuse to offer a fair settlement.
Of course, while you have all of these rights, enforcing all of these rights can be a challenge. At Berkowitz Hanna, we are experienced in helping riders stand up for themselves and recover the financial compensation they deserve. Our Shelton motorcycle accident attorneys can investigate and deal with the insurance companies on your behalf, and we can help you make informed decisions about whether to accept an insurance settlement or take your case to trial.
Are You Entitled to Financial Compensation for Your Motorcycle Accident?
Conducting an investigation is the first step toward determining if you are entitled to compensation for your motorcycle accident. Until our Shelton motorcycle accident lawyers know what happened, we cannot advise you as to whether or not you have grounds to pursue a claim. With that said, many motorcycle accidents result from factors other than rider negligence, and injured riders will often be entitled to financial compensation due to factors such as:
- Careless, reckless, distracted, or drunk driving
- Failing to check a blind spot prior to changing lanes or turning
- Running a red light, stop sign, or yield sign
- Vehicle and motorcycle defects
- Motorcycle safety equipment defects
- Road defects and other road-related hazards (e.g., a pothole, loose gravel, or construction site debris)
How Much Financial Compensation Can You Recover?
If you are entitled to financial compensation, the amount you are entitled to recover will depend on the extent and the long-term effects of your injuries. Generally speaking, however, if someone else was at fault in your motorcycle accident, you are entitled to compensation for all of your accident-related losses. Once our Shelton motorcycle accident attorneys determine the cause of your accident, one of our next major steps will be to work with you and your doctors to determine how much you are entitled to recover.
What If the Insurance Companies Blame You for Your Own Injuries?
Due to the nature of motorcycle riding, there is a common perception that motorcycle riders will often be to blame for their own injuries when they go down. While this perception is largely misguided, this does not stop the insurance companies from trying to deny compensation to injured riders.
If the insurance companies accuse you of causing your own injuries, we can use our experience and the evidence we obtain during our investigation to prove that you are entitled to compensation. If the evidence suggests that you were partially at fault in the accident, we may still be able to pursue a partial recovery on your behalf under Connecticut law.
Discuss Your Case with a Shelton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Free
To speak with one of our attorneys about your legal rights after a motorcycle accident in Shelton, please call or contact us online. Your initial consultation is free, and you pay nothing unless we win your case.